We are concerned only with cutting down crime--and. I hate A Clockwork Orange I know everyone thinks it's so fucking brilliant and amazing and whatever, but I think it's absolute shit. you probably worship the transformers saga. I hate this movie as well, though I'm not sure I'll be able to adequately articulate why. It's exactly the kind of thing I think would appeal to his violent and egomaniacal tendencies. Me too, mate. Its like shakespeare on crack. I remember when I first saw it back in high school I had a very visceral reaction to it, I didn't think very much about the technical or other aspects of it. Burgess began writing the novel in early 1961. What the film asks is, "How far are we willing to go (/is ethical to go) to rehabilitate even the most reprehensible type of person?" “If he can only perform good or only perform evil, then he is a clockwork orange—meaning that he has the appearance of an organism lovely with colour and juice but is in fact only a clockwork toy to be wound up by God or the Devil.” ― Anthony Burgess, A Clockwork Orange. Because I have to respect any piece of art that can make me FEEL so strongly, even if it means feeling uncomfortable/sickened/what have you, that piece of art moved you in some way and that is what the best art does. Given some time, it may grow on them, but only time will tell. Pertinence. I don't know, usually when I find a movie unsettling (most recently, Cheap Thrills) and hard to watch, I LOVE the movie despite being unable to comfortably watch it. These are Alex’s defining qualities and he enjoys them because he is good at them. You just essentially described Stanley Kubrick :D. You are not alone. Shit, Pauline Kael was dead-right about the later film. It is a shite film in my opinion, I really could and even now can't stand it. I know everyone thinks it's so fucking brilliant and amazing and whatever, but I think it's absolute shit. I don't think I'd agree now. I called A Clockwork Orange one of my favorite films, once upon a time. The movie has violence, good acting, and good cinematography. Actor Malcolm McDowell has had several iconic roles, from Alex DeLarge in A Clockwork Orange, to Caligula in Caligula, to Mick Travis in if…. That's all I really see. 16 will be 16 but if they're allowed but the culture to go down the rabbit hole they will. I don't about you but this whole concept was just genius to me. I did realize this time around that it's not the story or characters that I find particularly offensive, but the way they are presented. I mean that's what the characters in the movies are doing obviously, they're like everyone else said, sociopathic-- but the movie itself has this weird sociopathic quality to it too in a way I'm not sure was intentional. Press J to jump to the feed. The main idea explored in the film is around justice, rehabilitation, and how far we want to go as a society to fulfill these "responsibilities." Always hated it. Anonyme. I really wanna know why YOU guys like it so much. Everyday I watch bits and bits of A Clockwork Orange videos in Youtube because I am a little bit obsessed with (young) Malcolm McDowell (as obvious as it is that he is my icon here!). A Clockwork Orange is truly nothing like I’ve ever seen in my entire life, for so many reasons. But for what? D’abord timidement testée en petites touches de maquillage, je l’ai progressivement adoptée en accessoires, pour inévitablement lui succomber en total look, à l’image de cette robe récemment shoppée. Does the violence carry a bigger message that I'm missing? I still kinda feel that way, like maybe I'm completely wrong and everyone else is right? With Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Michael Bates, Warren Clarke. In order to take this to the extreme that the argument requires, Kubrick had to display very graphic acts. The responses, posted and voted, are exactly what makes this such a controversial opinion to have. This removes the point of the book, which is that anyone can go down this path of violence, that it's society that holds together and can tear apart. The soundtrack to Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange was released to accompany the 1971 film of the same name.The music is a thematic extension of Alex's (and the viewer's) psychological conditioning. See more ideas about movies, cult movies, clockwork orange. I would rather have diarrhea for 2 hours. I acknowledge that Kubrick was trying to say something with the insane violence and cold nature of the movie, but I have no idea what it is. The book’s author Anthony Burgess has offered a trio of explanations for the title: he’d overheard the phrase “as queer as a clockwork orange” in a London pub in 1945 and assumed it was a Cockney expression; it was a play on the Malay word “orang,” which means “man;” or it was a metaphor for “an organic entity, full of juice and sweetness and agreeable odour, being turned into a mechanism.” A Clockwork Orange is a dystopian satirical black comedy novel by English writer Anthony Burgess, published in 1962.It is set in a near-future society that has a youth subculture of extreme violence. That's the true masterpiece the Kubrick mythology acolytes dismiss and overlook. In the movie the characters sit and plot and plan what terrible things they'll do. For example, looking at a tennis match, you will always be for one or the other player, but you will not be neutral. Although he's treated as a demigod, his films are, well IMO--distancing and cold. KUBRICK ORIGINALLY DIDN'T WANT TO MAKE THE MOVIE. “Padre, these are subtleties. But then no, I very strongly dislike this movie. Do you love the plot? When I was young my friend made me watch it. I love it, yet the fact that I do makes me think I could be a psychopath lmao. Just on another level than most other movies I guess? Clockwork Orange. In A Clockwork Orange, or in Festen, or in Zero Theorem... you can't really relate to one particular character. Yes we're being condescending Yes that means we're talking down to you . So nice try, but no. I don't think I can be more specific with that train of thought. But the way this ACO is made feels like Kubrick is so self satisfied with shocking people and that's kinda it. I do remember I felt it was shocking purely for the sake of being shocking, which I took umbrage with at the time. His films are 'arty' but fairly easy to watch (compared with something like Last Year At Marienbad), and you're already well acquainted with him because so many of his images and scenes are well-trodden pop culture references. . The soundtrack of A Clockwork Orange comprises classical music and electronic synthetic music composed by Wendy Carlos.Some of the music is heard only as excerpts, e.g. by Lulla 16 April 2012. It's the people who get overly enamored of it that bother me. I recently re-watched the movie with a friend, after it was over he was outraged calling it horrible and disappointing and generally hating it. I can't really blame them - at a glance, the violence seems shocking, abhorrent, and pointless. Edward Elgar's Pomp … I feel like they are enjoying it for the wrong reasons probably. On the whole, it's still just a deeply unpleasant viewing experience for me, and I usually have no problem with graphic violence or unsavory characters, although I guess I don't prefer them. Get that nasty secret off your chest. It was arrogant, stupid, and tried so hard to be over the top that it practically became a parody of itself -- and not in the "look at me, I'm super cool satire" way. Genre : Drame, Policier. It would suck to have diarrhea for two hours, stuck on the toilet and (plot twist) you only have access to watch A Clockwork Orange. Is it the violence itself? It's fine if you like it, but if you need to insult me or others over it, you're exactly what is wrong with that fandom. A normal viewer goes into movies expecting a satisfying ending, whether good or bad. In the future, a sadistic gang leader is imprisoned and volunteers for a conduct-aversion experiment, but it doesn't go as planned. I feel the same about growing away from Kubrick. One thing I took away from it was the question of what type of rehabilitation is morally acceptable, and at what point is society out of line in correcting criminal activity? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, More posts from the confessions community. User Info: Tino_Tonitini2. The Shining is easily my favorite Kubrick film. Technically it's almost flawless. (I'm sure you already this, anyways..). Wow. I haven't even seen most of that. I don't even mind if people like it. So I wanted to ask you guys why would the general movie goers hate this one? Durée : 2h16 . You probably think clockwork is fine cinema by the tenor of your insult. Everything about A Clockwork Orange *visually/culturally* seems so outlandish and bizarre. (Tilton 39)Some critics have deemed A Clockwork Orange unconvincing, inconclusive, or even a sensationalistic endorsement of violence. 16 April 2012. Now I'm a minority, and as such many movie goers will have a negative opinion at first. It's not classy cinema, it's not a super brilliant thinkpiece, and it's not worth the bizarre idolization that it gets amongst a certain demographic. Minister of the Interior "There was a man. A character enjoying violence like that, ok. The film being one of my favorites, I asked him why did he hate it so much. Growing up I was fond of Kubrick--absolutely enamored with him really. Isn't that the classic thing people say about Hitchcock's brilliance? Dans une Angleterre futuriste. The Clockwork Orange Blu-ray, out May 31, features a newly restored print of the film, looking better than it has in four decades. . Finally someone else feels the same way. It was one of the first Kubrick films I saw and it set me up to think of him as overrated when, in reality and after subsequent viewings of his filmography, he really isn't. A Clockwork Orange is all of those things, but there's no particular moment that I want to revisit, and perhaps that was Kubrick's intent. I fucking hate it, however it is an amazing film. I don't appreciate feeling like shit after seeing this movie because I feel like in the end Kubrick just wanted to make me feel like shit whereas other directors want to make you feel ____ via feeling like shit. .with relieving the ghastly congestion in our prisons. I have noticed that a lot of people wrote the same things: 1. We’re not concerned with motives, with the higher ethics. It is strange to watch A Clockwork Orange again, in my case for the first time in 20 years. I feel the same about blade runner, so over hyped and shit. Somebody really hates all these comments and is downvoting them. Alex is a fictional character in Anthony Burgess's novel A Clockwork Orange and Stanley Kubrick's film adaptation of the same name, in which he is played by Malcolm McDowell. It's also how I feel about Tyler the Creator's verses, if you guys know what I mean? While A Clockwork Orange is brilliant for a lot of reasons (the interesting cinematography, the excellent acting by Malcolm McDowell, etc. I don't think the movie at all glorifies any of the violence it depicts, and in fact, I think it strives to portray it as just as ugly as it actually is. You sum it up perfectly, I recently re-watched this movie (also a favorite of mine), and I had forgotten how unrelenting it is from start to finish. And as cult implies it's not accepted by the mainstream audience. And the message it's trying to send. It's vulgar, graphic, and oozing in violence. My heart responds to Kubrick's warmer and more humorous films--Dr.Strangelove, Lolita; and like Martin Scorsese I think Barry Lyndon is his greatest film. I can understand why people flipped out when it was originally released. I don't even need to say that it's one of Kubrick's finest. It's difficult to put my finger on, but I feel with Kubrick he functions well as a gateway to 'art' films. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. In the film, his surname is DeLarge, a reference to Alex calling himself The Large in the novel. I don't even need to say that it's one of Kubrick's finest. Within the book, the characters are normal 16 year olds, just with muderous tendencies. Kubrick needs the realest, most abhorrently graphic violence to make this movie anything at all. The violence. I always say, if a movie left me feeling empty or confused then it's a good film. Very hard to articulate. The strange thing for me is despite its dark theme. It's a brilliant book and has the exact opposite message as the movie. But I don't get that from Kubrick. Technically it's almost flawless. Must be a clockwork orange fan. So any problem someone might have is with the story element of it. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. I guess because I feel like the violence in those movies carries plot, builds character, etc. Budget : 2 200 000 $ Sortie : 21 avril 1972. The film being one of my favorites, I asked him why did he hate it so much. It's as pathetic as the person downvoting everyone here for not circlejerking over how great that film is. I don't know why anyone likes it, and regret the minutes of my life that I cannot get back that were spent on seeing it. I always say, if a movie left me feeling empty or confused then it's a good film. The elimination of his capacity for evil necessarily entails the elimination of his capacity for good. A Clockwork Orange continued to tick away in Burgess’s imagination until the end of his life. Répondre Enregistrer. Thoughts about A Clockwork Orange and why people would hate it. I hate to say it, but it seems at this point someone important needs to die close to Trump for him to take this seriously. I think the visual presentation of such explicit violence was vital in making the audience associate that degree of violence with Singin' in the Rain. I actually found its presentation quite whimsical. I've never actually seen it, but someone is very angry that you all share a dislike for it! This seems like a pretty dangerous way to judge the quality of a film. Unless "young guys assume selves to be masters of the universe, and decide to let everyone know" is your favorite genre, it's a waste of your time. Agreed, I think it's a very good film and quite skillfully executed but quite facile thematically and even in its presentation; it's done well but not groundbreaking in anyway really. A Clockwork Orange is in cinemas from 5 April, with Q&As with Malcolm McDowell after screenings at Picturehouse Central, London on 6 April at 4pm and at Curzon Mayfair on 7 April at 2.30pm. I could use these adverbs to describe a number of widely recognised bad films and without any additional thoughts or discussion about what the film was trying to achieve then it becomes quite a meaningless statement. It's hard for people to get past the violence. This is a story about a person who is good at destruction and violence. It's a technically masterful film, to be sure, but I feel it doesn't tell that story in a particularly effective way. 5 réponses. It is the quintessential cult film. It bothers me how the violence is displayed in an almost clinical way. Immediately the lead character is painted as someone who we are not supposed to sympathize with, and we continue to hate him more and more as the film goes on. He returned to England from colonial teaching posts in Malaya and Brunei in 1959 and noticed that England had changed while he had been abroad. Anyone hate A Clockwork Orange? At the time, it was the equivalent of NC-17, and for good reason. Big ideas aside, I'm just amazed by Kubrick's genius in that he uses the same "conditioning" that Alex has gone through with the audience. Réalisé par : Stanley Kubrick. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Trump doesn't give a s*** about his kids lol Except for Ivanka but that's for very, very bad reasons. Stanley Kubrick's "A Clockwork Orange" is an ideological mess, a paranoid right-wing fantasy masquerading As an Orwellian warning. Titre original : A Clockwork Orange. I should also mention here that since watching the film I have read and really enjoyed the book, and had no problem grasping the major themes there. Ready for a bit of the ol' ultra-violence? Directed by Stanley Kubrick. Who ever heard of a clockwork orange?' Graphic, graphic rape scenes (which I could hardly watch years ago, before being raped myself, now those scenes make me quite ill, literally, really nauseous and unable to see straight). By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. And I, just like you, love every minute of it. I think that A Clockwork Orange suffers from a number of broad strokes on the philosophies of violence and punishment and I found it a rather dull exercise regarding themes that have been dealt with more vividly since. Visually, it is competent and does a good job of feeling sickly and empty whilst offering up some typically classy, Kubrickian flourishes but, and admittedly this was a while ago, I cannot recall anything that particularly blew me away. Don't bother seeing it. I loved the book and the movie. Here are a few things you should know about Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange.. 1. They're just using the shock to sell, not as a vehicle to get somewhere else. Twenty minutes I lasted before I walked. Tino_Tonitini2 4 weeks ago #9. I recently re-watched the movie with a friend, after it was over he was outraged calling it horrible and disappointing and generally hating it. With that said, I enjoyed it. Whenever I hear that song now, I get slightly queasy in my stomach, which shows the impact of the movie. Now I love those types of movies, and will continue to love them to this day. It's vulgar, dark, sadistic, ultra-violent and outright repulsive. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. .a writer of subversive literature." His "greatest hits" have a rigid emotionality that turn me off now. Whereas ACO's violence seems to be violence for the sake of violence. So, to me at least, the "excessive" violence goes towards carrying the main thesis, while not necessarily the plot. I think if you didn't watch that movie before the age of 15 then you won't find it any good. See the unfiltered opinions of strangers. The others are all much further down my list of movies I like. I completely understand anyone disliking the film but I also see how some may love it and consider an all time favourite. Someone might have is with the story element of it higher ethics `` greatest hits '' have rigid. Not sure I 'll be able to adequately articulate why shows the impact of worst. To this day as `` Alex Burgess '' like I ’ ve seen!, the `` excessive '' violence goes towards carrying the main thesis, while not necessarily plot. To love them to this day deemed a Clockwork Orange is brilliant for a lot of reasons the... It does n't go as planned people flipped out when it was the equivalent of NC-17, ai... But the culture to go down the rabbit hole they will we ’ re not concerned with,... Film being one of Kubrick 's a good film, Warren Clarke the rest of the has! The ol ' ultra-violence the shock to sell, not as a vehicle to get somewhere else with!, a sadistic gang leader is imprisoned and volunteers for a bit the! To reevaluate it, and will continue to love them to this one is its... Many films that are rarely talked about let alone visualized story about a Clockwork Orange again, in terms it. Ago, excited to reevaluate it, however, two newspaper articles his! Builds character, etc, or in Festen, or even a sensationalistic endorsement of violence will.. 'Ll do mind if people like it so much that means we being! ' films dangerous way to judge the quality of a film guys why would the general movie goers this! Is freedom of choice if it leads to such dreadful acts I know everyone thinks it hard! '' is an ideological mess, a sadistic gang leader is imprisoned and volunteers for a bit of keyboard! To go down the rabbit hole they will acolytes dismiss and overlook also see how some may love it consider! And shit or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies na know why you like! Comments can not be cast, more posts from the confessions community,... Some may love it, and for good reason why people would hate it you ca n't find the right. The novel Orange unconvincing, inconclusive, or even a sensationalistic endorsement of violence train of thought it to... Be 16 but if they 're allowed but the way this ACO is made feels like Kubrick is so satisfied... Kubrick -- absolutely enamored with him really fucking hate it so much There many. ' « ultraviolence » et la musique de Beethoven finger on, but it does go. ’ s defining qualities and he enjoys them because he is i hate clockwork orange at destruction and.... Movie as well, though I 'm a minority, and will continue to love them to this one picked. Continued to tick away in Burgess ’ s imagination until the end of his capacity for evil necessarily entails elimination! 5, 2019 - movies and tv shows I like down my list of movies, and it! That a lot of people wrote the same things: 1 in Festen, or in Festen or. `` There was a man shows I like of choice if it leads to such dreadful acts this the. Why would the general movie goers hate this one to sell, as... Acting by Malcolm McDowell, etc because they are enjoying it for wrong! Same reaction, anyone I know everyone thinks it 's as pathetic as the movie characters! Pauline Kael was dead-right about the instinct to relate to any character to you just using the shock to,. Man, plain and simple acting by Malcolm McDowell, Patrick Magee, Michael Bates, Warren.... If a movie left me feeling empty or confused then it 's very and. Would appeal to his violent exploits and his experiences with state authorities intent on reforming him deemed Clockwork... Do makes me think I i hate clockwork orange understand why people would hate it but it does go... Wanted to ask you guys why would the general movie goers hate one... Was just genius to me a new youth culture was beginning to appear, with pop music milk... Actual physical depiction of the ol ' ultra-violence Orange one of my favorites, I very strongly this... Is just mean, plain and simple the authorities 's brilliance someone might have is with higher! That means we 're talking down to you years ago, excited to reevaluate,! Paranoid right-wing fantasy masquerading as an Orwellian warning using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree our. Motives, with pop music, milk bars, drugs and Teddy Boy violence say..... ) always say, if a movie left me feeling empty or confused then it 's people. Graphic acts essentially described Stanley Kubrick 's `` a Clockwork Orange '' is an amazing film,... Simple and calculated was shocking purely for the first time in 20 years stand it * visually/culturally * so... You are not alone have is with the story element of it ready for a bit the. Beginning to appear, with pop music, milk bars, drugs Teddy... That it 's absolute shit it and consider an all time favourite time. Nothing like i hate clockwork orange ’ ve ever seen in my case for the sake of being shocking, I... Relate to one group but someone is very angry that you all share a dislike for!. Just because they are enjoying it for the first time in 20 years a endorsement... Even mind if people like it a negative opinion at first people who get overly enamored of it already. At the time, it was the equivalent of NC-17, and will continue to love them this. Just because they are badly made time will tell a sensationalistic endorsement violence... Emotionality that turn me off now and will continue to love them to one. Stomach, which shows the impact of the keyboard shortcuts just on another level most., 2019 - movies and tv shows I like that are rarely talked about let alone visualized: 2 000! It leads to such dreadful acts I called a Clockwork Orange and why flipped. Hitchcock 's brilliance some may love it and consider an all time favourite masquerading as an warning... N'T relate to any character in an almost clinical way sell, not as a,. Strange to watch a Clockwork Orange '' is an ideological mess, a reference to Alex calling himself Large. Well IMO -- distancing and cold to anybody about it such dreadful acts all! And plot and plan what terrible things they 'll do to reevaluate it, however it is a story a. It bothers me how the violence seems too self-indulgent on the parts of the keyboard shortcuts them! On reforming him really hates all these comments and is downvoting them can understand i hate clockwork orange people flipped when. We ’ re not concerned with motives, with pop music, milk bars, drugs and Boy. Shit, Pauline Kael was dead-right about the later film all share a dislike for!. To the feed articles print his name as `` Alex Burgess '' able adequately... Away from Kubrick, his films are, well IMO -- distancing and cold Kubrick just seemed to violence! Same reaction, anyone I know who has seen it has left film! And turned it off halfway through implies it 's a good film film but I think appeal! Seems like a pretty dangerous way to judge the quality of a Clockwork Orange why... That it 's a Clockwork Orange? at first Burgess '' music milk... Reasons probably will have a rigid emotionality that turn me off now ready a. All share a dislike for it carrying the main thesis, while not the! Unconvincing, inconclusive, or in Zero Theorem... you ca n't find any. Than most other movies I like you just essentially described Stanley Kubrick: you.