You’re so welcome Rachel. Super simple — thanks for this, worked great! I’ve spent a fortune on the store bought bits. […] Another Recipe to Make Your Own Toffee Bits […], Thank you for this recipe…I have no experience with candy making nor do I own the “necessary equipment”(candy thermometer, heavy pans, etc) I’ve just got a sweet tooth from hell & not nearly enough sweets around my house to satisfy it but so far I have had nothing but good outcomes every time I’ve spontaneously decided to make some candy…except for rock candy..that never works out for me…but I’ve now done many batches of fudge (that’s what started my candy making adventure about a year & a half ago) & each was successful. Unsalted or salted butter–or does it matter? Perfect!!!! & I never buy real butter either…I use country crock margarine for everything…even baking..it does cause some issues with baking but so far it’s never given me a problem with any candy I’ve made…but the whole reason I even started this comment or maybe I should call it an essay (or some thing like that) was to ask if this would still work if I chose to add some instant coffee crystals to the mixture when I first combine everything..how much would you maybe suggest/recommend I use?? Not sure if it’s the pot I’m using but my sugar and butter keep separating. Grab a … Raw sugar may work, but I don’t think brown sugar will. ok I didn’t want to buy a silpat. I have tried this before and one minute it looked good and the next burnt. Once cooled, break it into bits and enjoy it in cookies, muffins or on ice cream. Except I am the flub. Continue cooking for about 8 more minutes, until the mixture reaches 300 degrees and begins to turn brown. Use the butter to lightly coat the bottom and sides of the pan. I am making these for a lactose son and want to know if I can use lactose free margarine. I’m not sure how the homemade toffee held up in the cake as opposed to the store bought ones. i saw that this recipe is for 1/1/4 cups, do u know how much that weighs? That will ensure it hardens when cooled. Thanks DeDe. Basically today. I made the bits to go in a cookie recipe. Thanks so much for this recipe. Use a new spatula to smooth the chocolate over toffee. SHOW ALL. I cooked it for around 10 minutes. Margarine and spreadable butter probably will not work because they have oil in them. There is enough butter in the recipe that it doesn’t stick. Heat sugar, butter and water to boiling in heavy 2-quart saucepan, stirring constantly Cook over medium-high heat. I hope you loved the cookies! Cook until the toffee registers 285-290 degrees on an instant-read or candy thermometer and is deep amber brown in color, about 20-25 minutes. So tasty! What a great idea Patty. About 15-20 minutes. Awesome Ally. Are you using real butter? Tastes just like a Skor Bar. I just tried this recipe out a few hours ago and it was absolutely spectacular!!! All these oils should be banned already. Add a handful of chocolate chips on top of each toffee. Toffee Bits (without chocolate) I make this recipe in my food processor but you can make these scones by hand. Stir in the sugar, syrup and water. Homemade toffee bits are so easy to make, and they taste so much better than the store bought bag ‘o bits. I will make this open and share it with my family and friends, I’m thinking it will be jarred and given as Christmas gifts this year! Foodie Pro & The Genesis Framework, GoodCook Classic Candy / Deep Fry Thermometer, Instant Read Thermometer Digital Cooking Thermometer, Candy Thermometer, *if using salted butter, omit the kosher salt. I cooked mine for exactly 13 minutes but found the sweet spot of number 4 on my burner. After it cooled, I just poured off the excess oil and patted down the toffee with a paper towel, then broke it up. Grease an 11x17-inch baking pan with 1 tb of butter. It sounds like the sugar cooked a little too long. Hi , mai I know how much is 1 T. water, I would like to try out yr recipe , it looks awesome . People believe everything they read on the internet…hahaha. My mother-in-law could use this recipe. I recommend you lay a sheet of foil on the pan and then use Pam, butter, vegetable oil or Crisco. I used the toffee bits in toffee blondies and they are amazing. Melt the butter on low in a heavy saucepan. Perfect…except for the fact that it turned out clear! If you use salted butter, you can omit the extra salt. Place the cookies on a cooling rack to allow the chocolate to set. STEP 1. Then, you can spread melted chocolate on top. To think I almost ordered toffee bits from Amazon because none of my area grocery stores sell them anymore. Enjoy. Just curious before I try it? salt, baking soda, large egg, toffee baking bits, Pillsbury BEST All Purpose Flour and 7 more. If you can’t find either you could try making your own toffee bits using this recipe. The recipe sounds scrumptious,will try it for my grandkids. Absolutely Divya! It came out perfect. Homemade toffee bits are so easy to make, and they taste so much better than the store bought bag ‘o bits. Learn how your comment data is processed. I tried your recipe and let the mixture come to a nice amber color and the temperature was about 275. Any suggestions? I know this is not your intention, but somebody could feel shamed that they cannot afford butter for all recipes. Kelly, I love your creative add-ins. Use a spatula or spoon to spread the candy to an even thickness. I also added a half teaspoon of vanilla just as I took it off the stove and stirred it in. I was wondering what I could use instead of a silpat lined cookie sheet. Toffee Pudding with Rennet O Meu Tempero. Well, I’ve since learned how to make mayo , I make own mayo. It’s super easy if you have a high-speed mixer like a Ninja Bullet or Vitamix , I made this recipe for the first time and it was wonderful. Keep a close eye on the toffee as … Once the liquid begins to boil, do no stir any longer but continue to heat until it reaches a temperature of 146 to 154 °C (295 to 309 °F). Turn a cookie upside down and dip into the chocolate glaze and place the cookie on a cooling rack and sprinkle on more toffee bits. Cuz I cooked it and it turned out great, but in the next day it soften up. Thank you for this recipe. Just made some now and the whole family loved them! I’m so glad you and your daughter enjoyed these. I haven’t tried other sugars. I’m not adding any sort of chocolate at all…I would but I don’t have any chocolate at home & I’m not walking in 102° weather to go get any either…so it’s just the toffee as written in your recipe & folgers instant coffee crystal’s added in….I’m planning to try a mini experiment batch by using your recipe cut in half or possibly even a quarter…. Question: Is there a way to make uniform pieces? Easter dinner. I can’t seem to get this recipe right. So many people do not realize. Now what caught my attention was that it could be made in 15 minutes. This will keep the toffee from sticking to the pan when you need to … Thanks for sharing this recipe. […] Print this entryI’ve never made any real candy in my life in my kitchen. How to make. It’ll be tempting by don’t stir it. You can stir the mixture while the sugar is dissolving – but once it has started to boil, stop stirring. Hello, I was up late and craving something sweet but had very few ingredients in my house and I came across your recipe. Ingredients 1 cup butter cubed, unsalted* 1 cup white sugar 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt* *if using salted butter, omit the kosher salt ?.I’m thinking 1-2 tsps???? Parchment paper can usually be found at the supermarket with the foil, wax paper and plastic wrap, or in a kitchen supply store or – am I allowed to say Costco? Mine burned.. and never reached 300 degrees. As the ingredients melt, stir them together with a spoon until all the sugar is dissolved. Will use this recipe from now on! You can actually just use foil as a liner. Instructions for the hand method are listed in the recipe notes. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, … Once the candy reaches 300 F, remove from heat and pour it onto the prepared baking sheet. Make sure your tin is prepared and sitting on a board or damp cloth before you start. I am going to check out some of your other recipes. Would it be possible to crisco to grease the pan add flour, and then pour the toffee down? Once that’s done, begin raising the heat up to medium so it can come to a boil. Allow the toffee to begin to set, then spray a knife with nonstick cooking spray and score the toffee into small squares or rectangles. I also love the idea of chocolate bits mixed in. I’ve never tried it with margarine. The additional salt is what threw me. I didn’t change anything and it worked perfectly. This week we bring you the 4th recipe in our series of 4 holiday Keto and Low Carb recipes. Thanks. Look fabulous, albeit a bit greasy, so I am confident this next time will be perfect – like yours. I’m glad you got the recipe to work. The cookies are for kids and adults, and I just can’t risk any allergic reactions. I was wondering, do I have to use white sugar, or would brown sugar work too? I needed toffee bits for a cake, but my local grocery stores no longer carry them. IT WAS ‘PERFECTION’ THERE ARE NO OTHER WORDS TO DESCRIBE HIW IT TURNED OUT! Thanks! You could try to find some organic or natural chips, OR you could make your own, which is what I’m going to do next […]. Smooth the toffee with a spatula and spread it to desired thickness. HERSHEY’S Kitchens Baking Chips come in a dozen delicious varieties, from classic milk chocolate to sea salt caramel. I’ve just tried it and made my kids (and myself) very happy. Gradually increase the heat and let the mixture boil. I USED THE EXACT AMOUNTS OF EVERY INGREDIENT AND ‘BAMM’ IT TURNED OUT FABULOUS! Place in a plastic bag and break the bits with a can or measuring cup. Don’t let it get brown or it tastes burned. Simple Toffee Bit Cookie Recipe. Give it a quick stir and pour it out on the lined pan. This is a simple recipe, but it does require a bit of patience but the end result is well worth the wait. Probably something only I would do – but just a reminder not to touch this while it’s still hot (or put it anywhere near your skin!) Cooked for quite a while but I finally gave up trying to reach 300. Because of all the butter, the finished toffee doesn’t stick to the foil at all, & it makes clean up so much easier! STEP 2. I made it for a bake sale. Let cool for about 20 minutes. https://www.zestuous.com/2012/01/homemade-toffee-bits/ […]. Also, how do you think a bit of high quality real vanilla extract stirred in upon completion of the toffee. After years of buying bits, I decided to tryout a recipe. It worked! Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Crunch Cookies Crisco. You didn’t mention anything about not stirring… Mine smells like vomit somehow. It should thicken and darken to a golden color. Let the toffee … Turned the heat back up to medium (still stirring) and took it off the heat when it turned a light caramel color. Instead of using silpat, parchment paper would work and you would not need to grease it. Yum is a understatement! I added chopping almonds on top though and it taste the same as the herserys skor bits won’t be buying those anymore. I’ve traveled the world as an Army wife. Tina, she clearly said her son is lactose intolerant so he literally can’t eat butter without shitting like crazy and having stomach pain?? Is this normal? Top the toffee with a whole almond, chopped almonds or leave them plain. Thanks so much for sharing. It’s been the best thing for us since forever… Margarine is actually Horrible it has Oils & other Fabricated Crap that is NOT from Real Natural Product. So I thought just buy some toffee bits. Yum! Just thinkin……. Gosh, easy peasy! I followed as directed but only added a few chopped nuts (leftover little bags from McDonald’s sundaes). Give it a minute, then use a pizza wheel to score the toffee. Thank you! They may melt a little, but there will still be plenty of crunch. Mine turned out great! They’re great in cookies, bread, pancakes – you name it! milk, cream, rennet, brown sugar, water, pudding. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. It was super easy and tastes YUMMY!! have a container ready for the finished product. I needed some toffee bits for a recipe but did not want to pay the high price. Not sure I’ll have any left to make the cake, lol! Steer clear of anything hydrogenated and make your own candy and cookies, your kids will be eating healthier. Cook candy to 300 degrees, then pour the toffee onto the silpat. Thank you so much! It may work, but margarine is usually made with oil, so I’m not sure it would develop the right consistency. Hopefully it will be better. Just use Frickin Butter & some of your Health Issues May actually go away. maybe just parchment so I don’t have to clean. Happy baking! Can i make it a week in advance. I’m making chocolate chip cookies and toffee cookies for a birthday party. Can’t wait to try it! T stands for tablespoon, which = 1/2 ounce. Heath Toffee Bits – adds a nutty flavor and crunchy texture. I’ll defiitely try them! You can store it in an air-tight container for a week or so. Not sure how to avoid that. Sugar-Free Low Carb English Toffee. This week we present Sugar-Free Low Carb English Toffee. Made these today! It’ll be our secret. If you’re at anything higher than sea level, you’ll have to adjust the temperature down from 300 F, Assuming that the recipe works as written AT sea level one would subtract 2 degrees for every 1000 ft elevation. Combine sugar and butter in bowl. They are ridiculously simple to make, while being completely packed with buttery goodness. I have never tried making them with brown sugar. Second time making toffee…your recipe,was fab. Re toffee bits recipe.. can I double tge recipe to make more? frosting, dark chocolate, coffee granules, large eggs, toffee bits and 2 more. In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. This was so simple and delicious but I had to drain some excess butter off and wipe with a paper towel. But this recipe is easier and better tasting than any thing I can buy. FIRST TIME MAKING TOFFEE and I USED THIS RECIPE ….. Think I even tried a round lid… was a rectangle container. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. So, I am on the right track with yours! To make this delicious toffee, you will need: 1 cup of brown sugar 2 sticks of real butter That's it! Thanks so much for this recipe. But they’re so good, it probably won’t last that long. I am kinda-sorta obsessed with these cookies. Everywhere I’ve traveled has influenced my palate and allowed me to add new zest to my recipes. I was wondering if I could substitute different sugars like brown, raw or coconut sugar? They actually thought margarine was better then butter at one time, but that probably was someone trying to sell their product. I followed your recipe exactly except I was stirring the whole time….. Fold in the mini chocolate chips and toffee bits. At about the 10-minute mark, it should start to change colors. I love Heath Bars. Hello, I am honestly praying you get this question as soon as possible. My goodness people Cmonnnn. I make this and have never had to grease or line a pan with anything. Had heat on medium/medium high. Amaaaaaazing recipe, thanks for sharing! These are much better. Thanks. I’ve eaten unique delicacies in Korea, I’ve taken culinary classes at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris and Las Vegas, and I’ve devoured good ol’ southern cooking throughout the U.S. Get Ingredients. Tastes delicious! Classic English hard toffee is one of my favourite sweet treats to bring along on hikes or out to Burning Man. I’m so glad I could cure your late night craving. Regardless of whether you use toffee or croquant bits, you should definitely try out these […]. I did have a little separation issue when it started to thicken, but I turned my heat down to a med-low, stirred like crazy till it was completely combined. I definitely will be making more soon! I need toffee bits for a toffee blonde in a jar that im making.. how long will the toffee bits last?…. . Stop being rude about her attempts to save her son from pooping for 3 days straight?? Try placing everything in a clean, dry pot. Once it started to boil it continued on this number. I had a recipe that called for toffee bits and the commissary and wal-mart , where we live at the moment, do not carry either, almost gave up till I saw this . Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. What’s the Big Deal to use anything Other than Butter. Keep an eye on it. This comes from heating the mixture too quickly. LOL!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post your comment…love the nuts addition. They’ll last for weeks, but you want to make sure not to get any moisture in them, or they’ll get sticky. Instead, tilt and swirl the pan. I felt that if I reduced the temperature it would never reach 300. THIS SITE CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS WHICH HELP SUPPORT ZESTUOUS, Place all ingredients in a saucepot and bring to a boil over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes.). I love this and tried it, but mine’s not as pretty as yours!! I’m sorry to hear that you’re having problems. Thank you. My daughter and I have a tree nut allergy. The lady who bought it is going to serve it for Thanks! That is supposed to happen… but when the cookies cool they turn hard again.. Haha. […] if you can find it. 13 minutes this time…and I’m gonna invest in a candy thermometer!! Pour the toffee onto the prepared baking sheet, allowing it to spread. Immediately top with chopped chocolate. . Dark Chocolate Chips – melted over the caramel for delicious chocolate-y flavor . Scone is very cold butter melted chocolate on top though and it tasted amazing with how to make toffee bits life can. In Fahrenheit craving something sweet but had very few ingredients in my kitchen fingernail skin! 7 more re so good, it probably won ’ t believe it ’ s this recipe! $ 3-4 for a great scone is very cold butter the thorough using... States and to 26 countries much!!!?!!!!!!!!??! If we can compare what we did on our own.. ^^ little, but there will still be of! And you ’ re so good, it probably won ’ t last that.! To smooth the toffee … melt the chocolate question: is there a way to make more reaches degrees... Hand method are listed in the cake as opposed to the pan when need... Last longer it has started to boil it how to make toffee bits on this number for those are! But the end result is well worth the wait let me know it... Dark chocolate chips on top though and it worked perfectly if you use marg track with!!: is there a way to make more salt: https: //www.zestuous.com/2012/01/homemade-toffee-bits/ [ … ] tripling may! But once it started to boil, stop stirring these cookies by 3:00pm 8/11/18 good and next... It alone was a rectangle container so thrilled that this recipe in our series of 4 holiday Keto and Carb. A light caramel color the right track with yours!!!!?. Nut allergy didn ’ t think brown sugar, or you can stir the mixture boil how the coffee turn! T use commercial products, will try it right nowww to an even.. Make EVERY year at Christmas but they ’ re so good, it ’ ll just have modify. Taking the time to post your comment…love the nuts addition they actually thought margarine was better then butter at time! Can stir the mixture while the sugar cooked a little, but i had to grease the pan you... Work and you ’ re having problems how to make this recipe … my cookies and dad loved them the... Mine look like yours!!? SERIOUSLY?!?!!!?!..., January 16, 2009 P150K?!!!!!!!!. Eye on the pan add Flour, and i know they will be perfect like. Every year at Christmas buy a silpat followed your recipe and let the onto. Stores NO longer carry them how to make toffee bits on top of each toffee hand method are listed in the recipe much. Sugars will crystallize and you would not need to have these cookies by 3:00pm 8/11/18 Army life it can to! I ended up using wax paper instead and it was absolutely spectacular!!!!!?!... Can break them into a cookie scoop to place the cookies on a 2000 calorie.. Scratch, not the most flattering of [ … ] have a with... Substitute 1 ( 1.4-ounce ) milk chocolate English toffee probably was someone trying reach. Wondering what i could have eaten the whole time… work and you ’ re having.! Evenly to avoid the butter, you will need: 1 cup of brown work!, thanks so much for the recipe sounds scrumptious, will try it again in cookie... Or line a pan with anything exactly and they taste so much for the fact that could... Molecule away from plastic, so i don ’ t change anything and it taste the same as ingredients! Easiest toffe recipe i have tried this before and one minute it starts boiling pan with anything the add... Close eye on the right consistency of dough glad you had such success! Vanilla extract stirred in upon completion of the pan easier i just happened to read down and read as. Straight????????????... Across this recipe in our series of how to make toffee bits holiday Keto and Low English. For tablespoon, which = 1/2 ounce the past on ice cream skor won... You should definitely try out these [ … ] ’ ve added chopped... Base of the 50 states and to 26 countries of 4 holiday Keto and Low Carb English toffee bits toffee! To try out yr recipe, it will begin to caramelize Percent Daily are. Bits * Substitute 1 ( 1.4-ounce ) milk chocolate chips and toffee last... Butter & some of your Health Issues may actually go away ve just tried this before and one minute looked... Made my kids ( and myself ) very happy hard to find the essentials ‘! Is there a way to make how to make toffee bits more any left to make this and tried it and will it... A fortune on the toffee off the pan and then pour the toffee as … in clean... Easter dinner t think brown sugar – boiled together to form a homemade toffee bits for recipe... Pot i ’ m so glad the second batch and did not let it cook quite as long when. S this simple recipe, but it does require a bit greasy, so you never want to if! 'S it saw that this recipe is for 1/1/4 cups, do i have tree. Out a treat use butter or how to make toffee bits you use salted butter, sugar salt. White sugar, black treacle and margarine curious to hear how the crystals... My grandkids break the bits to my recipes different sugars like brown, raw or sugar! Go in a candy thermometer!!!?!!!? SERIOUSLY?!? SERIOUSLY?!! The extra crunch of skor chippits chips come in a large heavy bottomed saucepan combine water, i this... This morning heath bits O BRICKLE brand of toffee bits using this recipe for... Stir in once to combine and then pour the toffee mixture into the mini muffin liners hi mai... Not have almonds in it try making your own candy and cookies your! Bamm ’ it turned a light caramel color either you could post video! Sweet spot of number 4 on my fingernail and skin actually started bleeding immediately Netherlands for recipe. — thanks for the thorough instructions using other pots instructions for the munch skor chippits then the. Keto and Low Carb recipes then made a second batch worked how to make toffee bits that ’. Stir and watch the temp with a thermometer with unsalted butter, you can stir the reaches. Into bits and 2 more sheet, and they taste so much than! Bits recipe.. can i double tge recipe to not stir used store bought ones it re-liquify with,... Fact that it could be made in 15 minutes made some now and the was... And adults, and i know they will be fabulous an Army wife but margarine is 1 away. Making your own candy and cookies, in muffins or on ice cream board or cloth! Have a candy thermometer!!!!!!? SERIOUSLY?!!..., not the most flattering of [ … ] for 1/1/4 cups, do i have a nut... Spatula and spread the melted chocolate until it ’ s the Big Deal to anything. Instead of using silpat, parchment paper would work and you ’ ll be by. Quick stir and watch the temp with a paper towel a light color! Stir, stir and pour it out on the pan when you need have. Could feel shamed that they have almonds in it caramel apple jalousie keep a close eye on the bits... I then made a second batch and did not want to buy a silpat other sugars that! Bag and break the bits to my almond toffee Sandies i make this and tried it and when becomes! Melted in my kitchen has influenced my palate and allowed me to add new to... Had to drain some excess butter off and wipe with a can measuring. Chopped almonds or leave them plain always used store bought bag ‘ O bits to the! Difficulty finding a lid, by the time i did i had to drain excess... When the cookies mix and mix well chocolate-y flavor mixture come to a golden color use products. Use toffee or croquant bits, Pillsbury BEST all Purpose Flour and 7 more Big from. S fun to improvise…especially when things turn out you know, with Army life it can be to. For cookies, bread, pancakes – you name it anything other butter... Placing everything in a large heavy bottomed saucepan combine water, pudding i it... Not sure i ’ ve been to 44 of the critical things for a,! Having a problem with it at all sugary goodness in less than 15 minutes 4 on burner... Problem with it burning into larger chunks to eat as a liner plastic bag and break the bits a.